1. From a sixth grade teacher in rural Southwestern Oklahoma:
“100% of my students scored satisfactory or advanced in both reading and math…..and 67% of my students scored advanced in MATH. Thanks to you and Jan for introducing KESAM to me….that’s the key to success.”
2. Attitude Survey of sixth graders in ***** public school
Teacher #1 attended KESAM and uses KESAM methods/materials in her math classes.
Teacher #2 uses some KESAM activities shared with her by teacher #1.
Teacher #3 teaches straight from the text book.
Question: I like mathematics.
Teacher #1 15 agreed 1 disagreed
Teacher #2 11 agreed 6 disagreed
Teacher #3 5 agreed 15 disagreed
It is plain to see with these results that we are reaching our students and changing the way kids view math!!!!!!
3. ***** was an “at risk” rural school before their principle and all K-12 teachers of mathematics attended KESAM. This year they had a 100% success rate on state exams for all their students in math and were recognized nationally as a “Distinguished Title I School”.
4. ***** teaches 6,7,and 8th grade math in a rural school This year her 100% of her students were successful on State exams even though she had one who had never before passed.
5. After attending KESAM, ***** was assigned all the 4th grade math at her school. The students, who had only a 63% pass rate the previous year on state exams, performed at the 100% level after her class.
6. Letter from *****, principal at a rural school. “I am happy to have another graduate of KESAM at my school as well as a KESAM participant in your program next week. I am writing to ask for help and to encourage you. Last year two of my three 5th grade math teachers attended KESAM training and returned to school and did a marvelous job implementing it into their classrooms, so much so in fact, that our fifth grade state math test scores rose 14%. 5th grade has the highest average in the district! I love the program and enjoy watching students “turn on to math” in each of these teacher’s classrooms. Sadly I don’t have any 6th grade KESAM trained math teachers and their state math scores went down this year. It’s not that they haven’t tried to get in! “ (note: We have approximately seven applicants per available institute position)
7. At a recent KESAM Institute, I noticed one of the participants crying. I walked over to her group’s table, sat next to her and asked her “what’s wrong?” She replied, “Nothing is wrong. I am crying because I am so happy to finally understand mathematics and how to teach it.”